Saturday, April 14, 2012

Whole Food No Bake Cookies (Sugar/Dairy/Gluten Free)

This recipe comes from a good friend, Amy. She came up with it and thankfully sent it to me. No bake cookies are one of my very favorite kinds of cookies so I was really excited to make this whole foods version. Seriously...making old favorites that taste just as good is exhilarating!! Yes, I am kind of a dork but it makes me so excited! I'm including two versions - one is the original version and the other one I tweaked slightly. Both are delicious! Enjoy this version of an old classic that is free of refined sugar, dairy, and gluten. Yay!




Whole Food No Bake Cookies (Sugar/Dairy/Gluten Free)


Version 1 - very sweet, less chewy
*This is GAPS-legal using honey
2/3 cup maple syrup (or honey)
1/4 cup coconut oil
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup sun butter (or peanut butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shredded or flaked coconut

Over medium heat, combine maple syrup, coconut oil, and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and turn down heat to a simmer. Stir constantly for 3 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in sun butter, vanilla, and coconut. Place by tablespoonfuls onto waxed or parchment paper and set in the refrigerator to set up (about 30 minutes).

Version 2 - slightly less sweet, more chewy
(pictured above)
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon pre-soaked and cooked white quinoa

Over medium heat, combine honey, coconut oil, and cocoa powder. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and turn down heat to a simmer. Stir constantly for 3 minutes and remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter, vanilla, coconut, and quinoa. Place by tablespoonfuls onto waxed or parchment paper and set in the refrigerator to set up (about 30 minutes).

Makes 18-20 cookies.

*To soak and cook quinoa: In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of white quinoa and 1 cup filtered water. Add 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, stir, cover and let sit for up to 8-24 hours on the counter. When done soaking, pour into a pot and add 1 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered, until water is absorbed (about 12-15 minutes). Fluff with a fork then serve how desired. Soaking makes the quinoa more easily digested. Save time by cooking up a large batch and storing it in your fridge for several days, pulling out when needed.

21 comments:

  1. Yum! These sound really good! I don't have coconut oil though. Do you think there's something that could be substituted for the coconut oil? Any other type of oil or maybe butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try it with butter or maybe even olive oil...let me know how it works!

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I think I will try it. Maybe tomorrow. I'll let you know how they turn out. :)

      Delete
    3. p.s. wierd, but i'm totally obsessed with putting coconut oil on my face instead of moisturizer! love it!

      Delete
    4. Not weird at all, April! I have been using it as moisturizer for two years ;)

      Delete
    5. I made a little batch of these yesterday. They were really tasty! They turned out fine with the butter...a little gooey, but still tasted good. :)

      Delete
    6. I just made these! They are delicious. I used the maple syrup instead of honey. What a nice treat! Especially when I'm getting our family on the right track by not eating sugar. The coconut gives it another element of sweetness that adds to the already yummy flavor. Thanks for posting! If you do your research, you can find great alternatives to processed foods.

      Delete
  2. Ok, made these! Yum! and thanks for the idea. I've been feeling so lost with ideas for dinner and food in general. Feels like i'm in a culinary rut. Does this ever happen to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome...glad you liked them! Um yes. I'm always in a food rut, especially currently. I kind of hate meal time...my kids don't eat anything I make, run around the table to whole time, and I end up feeling like a schmuck. I guess I have to keep on keepin on though right? Glad I'm not alone :)

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to give these a shot! Do you think these would freeze well? I'd really like to find a GAPS legal treat that I can make once or twice a month to keep on hand for the littles and these sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these freeze beautifully! And, they can be eaten straight out of the freezer :)

      Delete
    2. Made them tonight: Delish! We had to try them before they completely set, but I will be printing this recipe so that I have a copy in my kitchen!

      Delete
    3. Awesome, so glad you like them!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for these am trying them tonight as its cooking night in our home, so to have some not having to be cooked will be fun thanks again. Garry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried these with agave nectar? My kids tolerate it better than honey or maple syrup.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I haven't tried these with agave nectar as I don't use it but I am sure it would work well since it is a liquid sweetener like honey or maple syrup. Let me know how it works!

      Delete
  6. These look so good! I think I will make these right now : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are one of the largest financial training academy's in the UK. We have facilities at Bank, in the Heart of the City of London, to train more than 300 candidates per month, with the aim of getting them qualified and into jobs. We are here to help our students every step of the way to gaining a career in financial services. We are affiliated with some of the largest employers in the UK with current demands of over 5000 mortgage advisors in the City of London and 600 Financial Advisors. We offer a range of financial services courses including Introductory and Enhanced Learning.

    thefinancialtrainingacademy.com
    rafiahmad.thefinancialtrainingacademy.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thrilled to find these recipes!

    I was looking for a recipe for "cow flap" cookies that I could eat. I recently found out that I have several food intolerances, including oats, peanuts and cocoa, so I was going to tweak a recipe I had but also wanted to replace refined sugar with another natural sweetener. I was worried about how well it would hold up!

    I am going to try both of these recipes with carob powder, almond butter, chopped almonds, and call them "Almond Joy" Cow Flap or No Bake Cookies.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! If you ask a question here, I'll respond to it in the comments.